LGBT Pride March 2017
Sunday – June 25 2017
Fifth Avenue, Manhattan
The Diocese of New York will again have a presence in the NYC LGBT Pride March on Sunday, June 25th 2017. We will be marching with a DJ and a float. The diocese has taken care of all registration formalities, all you need to do is show up and bring your parish banner.
Meeting location and time
NYC Pride has worked hard this year to give us more realistic meeting times.
We are in Section 11 / Group 18. (There are 14 Sections this year.)
Our meeting place will be East 39th Street between Madison and Park Avenues.
We need to be there and ready to march at 5:00pm.
Do not arrive before 4:30 since this area will be used for another section prior to ours.
Look for your group leaders who will be wearing blue (teal) T-shirts and will have the banner.
The float will meet us on Fifth Avenue.
Space permitting marchers will be able to board the float during the March.
If you NEED to ride the float, please contact Paul Lane at [email protected] for place and time to meet.
At the end of the March (Christopher St. and Greenwich) ALL marchers on foot must go right.
The float will turn left.
No one will be permitted to board or alight from the float after we cross Bleecker Street. If you have anything on the float, you must remove it before we cross Bleecker Street.
Tips for the day:
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Stay hydrated.
- If you don’t need to bring a bag/back-pack, please don’t. NYPD will be searching bags.
- Crossing Fifth Avenue between 34th and 42nd Street will not be possible, so come to the meeting place from the East.
- There will be no cross town traffic permitted between 42nd Street and the Village, not even on 23rd or 14th Streets, starting at 10:30am until we are finished.
The Church of the Transfiguration (The Little Church Around the Corner) really is around the corner. They are located at 1 East 29th Street, just east of Fifth.
If you are coming from out of town, they invite you to their join them for Solemn Mass at 11:00 a.m. You can then watch a good part of the March from there before making your way to the meeting site.
Our friends at the Church of the Ascension will be there to welcome us to the Village with cold water with just a hint of lemon. Make sure to say hello.
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Lane at [email protected]
The Diocesan Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns is a committee of the Social Concerns Commission of the diocese.
The Diocesan Committee on LGBT Concerns promotes the visibility, equality and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning Episcopalians and their families in the diocese of New YorkThe Committee:
- Serves as a clearinghouse for ministries, services and events within the diocese for its LGBTQ members, and supports and promotes these ministries
- Partners with existing ministries that serve LGBTQ persons, such as Integrity New York, CFLAG (Clergy Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays), and the Interfaith Task Force for LGBTQ Youth
- Promotes social witness for the experiences and needs of LGBTQ Episcopalians in the diocese
- Identifies welcoming parishes within the diocese and works to engage additional parishes in the welcoming process
- Advocates for policies that promote acceptance and equality for LGBTQ persons in the diocese, the larger church, and society at large
For further information or to become more involved, please email us.