Parish Buildings and Structure
The Diocesan Property Support Office
Property Support is dedicated to promoting the sound stewardship of the buildings and grounds of the congregations in the Diocese of New York. It offers a comprehensive program of financial aid, technical assistance and advocacy. The Program consists of the Property Support Committee, members of which are appointed by the Bishop of New York, and the Property Support Office, which serves as staff to the Committee. Membership in the Property Support Committee consists of clergy and lay people with expertise in property maintenance, planning and other related fields. Appointed by the Bishop and serving with no compensation, their time and efforts are gifts to the Church. All decisions concerning grants and loans are made solely by the Committee. The Property Support Office serves as staff to the Committee, manages the program, acts as an information clearing house, and administers grants and loans. Its policies and directions are set by the Episcopal Diocese of New York and the Committee. In addition, the Property Support Office reviews leases, easements, and the sale of land subject to canon and state law (please see “Procedures and Forms in Real Property Transactions” at the end of this section). Through technical advice, consultations, workshops, financial aid, and advocacy, Property Support helps congregations help themselves care for their buildings and grounds. The Program is not designed to subsidize congregations. Financial assistance is available for building and grounds projects in the form of grants and loans. Grants and loans, however, rarely cover the total cost of a project and congregations are expected to contribute a proportionate share toward the project cost. Emergency, energy and materials grants are also available to assist congregations. Click here for the grant/loan application. Funding is made possible by the diocesan assessment. Loans are made from a revolving fund having its origins in a 1954 campaign called “Builders for Christ,” supplemented in 1960 and 1988 from the 175th Anniversary Campaign.